Foods to Avoid
Which foods should I avoid with a Crohn's disease diet plan?
The foods that trigger symptoms differ for each person with Crohn's disease. To know which foods to leave out of your diet plan, you'll need to determine which foods trigger yours. Many people with Crohn's disease find that the foods on the following list aggravate symptoms during disease flares. So it's likely that at least some of these listed foods will trigger your symptoms:
- alcohol (mixed drinks, beer, wine)
- butter, mayonnaise, margarine, oils
- carbonated beverages
- coffee, tea, chocolate
- corn husks
- dairy products (if lactose intolerant)
- fatty foods (fried foods)
- foods high in fiber
- gas-producing foods (lentils, beans, legumes, cabbage, broccoli, onions)
- nuts and seeds (peanut butter, other nut butters)
- raw fruits
- raw vegetables
- red meat and pork
- spicy foods
- whole grains and bran
Once you've identified foods that cause your symptoms to flare, you can choose either to avoid them or to learn new ways of preparing them that will make them tolerable. To do that, you'll need to experiment with various foods and methods of preparation to see what works best for you. For instance, if certain raw vegetables trigger a flare, you don't necessarily need to give them up. You may find that steaming them, boiling them, or stewing will allow you to eat them without increased GI symptoms. If red meat increases fat in the stools, you could try eating ground sirloin or ground round to see if you can tolerate a leaner cut of beef. Or you might decide to rely on low-fat poultry without skin and fish as your main sources of protein.
1 (877) 737-6267
For Crohn's Support, please contact the number above or download our Crohn's Diet eBook.
To learn more about Crohn's Diet, you can navigate around the site using the links below.
What is SEROVERA®?
SEROVERA is well-known for its powerful anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Under the direction of Dr. Ivan Danhof, Ph.D., M.D., we have isolated and processed the healing agent in Aloe Vera, allowing us to infuse the purest, most potent medicinal value into each SEROVERA® AMP 500 capsule.
- soothes and heals bowel inflammation
- detoxifies the stomach and other digestive organs
- heals intestinal wall damage through rebalancing cells and regenerating tissue
- stimulates the stomach's production of pepsin (digestion enzyme)
- strengthens immune system to restore intestinal health
- helps reduce the likeliness of future flare-ups
- helps to keep you in remission, longer